Domain Name Transfer
Domain Name Transfer – Transferring your domain name can be a bit tricky, especially if it’s your first time. That’s why we’re here to give you a hand. We recommend reading this entire guide before you transfer a domain name from your current registrar to Webdomainguru.
NOTE: If your domain name is already registered here with Webdomainguru . You want to move it to another account with us, you must complete an account change, not a transfer.
The image below provides a brief overview of the domain name transfer process. You must take certain actions in your account at the other registrar, and you must take other actions in your account with us.
Domain Name Transfer
This section helps you prepare for and purchase your domain name transfer to us. By paying special attention to these steps, you can ensure a smooth transfer process and prevent delays.
NOTE: ICANN regulations prohibit transferring domain names registered or previously transferred in the last 60 days.
First Step for Domain Name Transfer
- Ensure that the administrative contact (admin) for your domain name has a valid email address in the Whois database. Both registrars use this email address to send you important information about the transfer. If it is invalid, contact your current registrar to update it.
- NOTE: If your domain name has private registration (also known as privacy), a service that hides your personal information from the public. You cannot verify your administrative contact’s email address in the Whois database. You must contact your current registrar to cancel the private registration. Then you can update the email address, if necessary.
- Unlock your domain name at your current registrar.
- Get an authorization code (also known as an EPP code or transfer key) from your current registrar, if required. Some domain name extensions, primarily country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs), do not require an authorization code. Some registrars display the authorization code in your account with them, while others email it to the admin email address upon request. For more information, see the next section.
Final Step for Domain Name Transfer
- Purchase a domain name transfer from our website. If the extension you want to transfer is not listed, you cannot transfer the domain name to us. When you purchase the transfer, select one of the following nameserver options:
- Keep the existing nameservers… — If you have a hosted website for your domain name (here or elsewhere), select this option to ensure that your site does not go down during the transfer.
- Change … to park nameservers — If you have email with us for the domain name, are using our O”-site DNS, or created a Premium DNS transfer template prior to the transfer, select this option.
- NOTE: If you select this option and are not using Off-site DNS or a Premium DNS transfer template, we park the domain name on our parking nameservers and create a default zone file in your account with us. You can use the Zone File Editor in the DNS Manager to customize the new zone file.
- We send an email message to the domain name’s administrative contact (admin) after you purchase the transfer. The email contains the transfer IDs (transaction ID and security code). You need to authorize the transfer in your account with us.